Collection and Use of Device Information
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain, non-personal, information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information”.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
We collect and use Device Information, and you will be deemed to consent to our use of your Device Information, for the purposes identified below:
- to help us detect and protect against error, fraud or other criminal activity as required by any applicable laws, rules or regulations or governmental requirements;
- to improve and optimize the Site by, for example and without limiting the foregoing, generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site; and
- to assess the effectiveness of our marketing and advertising campaigns.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
“Personal Information” is information that refers to an individual specifically and that is recorded in any form. Personal Information includes such things as full legal name, date of birth, age, full address, city, state/province, country and postal code, but does not include aggregated data from which the identity of an individual cannot be determined. When you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain Personal Information from you, including but necessarily limited to your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers), email address, and phone number.
In addition, when you contact us with a comment, question or complaint, or if we contact you in connection with an order you place on the Site or with respect to support or other services requested by you, you may be asked for information that identifies you such as your name and email address along with additional information we may need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your request, comment, or complaint. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings. We also use personal information to establish and manage our relationship with you and provide quality service.
We collect and use Personal Information, and you will be deemed to consent to our use of your Personal Information, for the purposes identified below:
- to generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations);
- to communicate with you regarding any order placed through the Site;
- to facilitate your registration and/or the creation your user account on the Site;
- to administering and manage the services provided through the Site and our business operations;
- to provide services requested by you including, without limitation, products you purchase through the Site;
- to perform statistical analyses of user behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections and functions of the Site so as to improve design and navigation of the Site and to gather marketing information;
- to detect and protect against error, fraud or other criminal activity as required by any applicable laws, rules or regulations or governmental requirements;
- to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you;
- to generally comply with legal and governmental requirements; and
- to fulfil any other purpose that would be reasonably apparent to the average person at the time we collect it from you.
Sharing of Personal Information
When we refer to “Personal Information” below, we are referring to Device Information and Personal Information.
Your personal information may be transferred (or otherwise made available) to our affiliates and other third parties who provide services on our behalf. We use service providers to, among other things, host our website, to process payments, to administer surveys, and to manage and analyze data and our advertising effectiveness. For example, we use Shopify to power our online store and we use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site. You can read more about how Shopify and Google Analytics use your Personal Information by referring to their respective privacy policies.
Your personal information may be maintained and processed by us, our affiliates and other third party service providers in the United States or other jurisdictions whose legal systems do not offer the same protection for your data as the laws of Canada or the jurisdiction of your residence. In the event that personal information is transferred to the United States or other foreign jurisdiction, it will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be disclosed to or accessed by the courts, law enforcement and governmental authorities in accordance with those laws.
We are responsible only for the Personal Information under our control. The Site or parts thereof may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by us. We have no control over, do not review, and are not responsible for the privacy policies of or content displayed on such third party websites. When you click on such a link within the Site or displayed to you through the Site, you may leave the Site and go to another site. During this process, another entity may collect personal information from you.
We and our service providers may provide your Personal Information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, U.S. or other law or legal processes. Your Personal Information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
Sale of Business
Your Personal Information may be provided to third parties in connection with a business transaction, including a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Digby Paints or as part of a corporate reorganization, share or asset sale or other change in corporate control, including for the purpose of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship.
Safeguarding and Retention of Personal Information
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the Personal Information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to your Personal Information on a need-to-know basis to our officers, employees and agents who require access to fulfill their job requirements.
We have Personal Information retention processes designed to retain Personal Information for no longer than necessary for the purposes stated above or to otherwise meet legal requirements.
Access to Personal Information
You have the right to access, update and correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in other Personal Information we have in our custody or control by emailing or writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain Personal Information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to their Personal Information records.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint or request access to your Personal Information, please contact us by e‑mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail using the details provided below:
ATTENTION: Privacy Compliance Officer
182 Dundurn St. South,
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4K3
Last Updated: July 24, 2020